Re: Milano ABS Head Gaskets

Andrew,

>            Now Rich's suggestion that it takes some where between 20 to
>40 hours to replace both head gaskets is unbelievable. For head gasket
>replacement only  the going rate is about 10 hours.

Are you suggesting that someone who has never done this job before is going
to complete it in 10 hours?  If you have worked as a mechanic, you should
be familiar with the techniques used to establish book time estimates.  (If
you're not familiar with them, we can talk about it offline.)  You should
also be familiar with the fact that an accomplished, fully familiar
mechanic has to work hard to meet those estimates.  No one unfamiliar with
this proceedure is going to remotely approach 10 hours.  I quoted 30 hours
for the driver's side headgasket as the time I predict it will require for
the person who posted the original message.  Telling him that it's a
no-brainer, and will require minimal time, does him a disservice.  As a
person who was in the poster's position, I gave him the best, most accurate
estimate that I could--based on a nearly identical set of circumstances.
Since I was in his position, and remember how long it took me, I think I am
well within my rights to offer my experiences.  Now, If you're prepared to
relate how long it took you to do this job the first time--and if you
accomplished that first attempt with no help--you will be doing the poster
more of a service.

By the way, I still have the receipts from the first time I had a
headgasket on a GTV6 replaced.  (Previous GTV6, previous life.)  It was
done by a very reputable Alfa dealer in NJ.  It took them 18 hours for the
driver's side gasket.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco