Winter cold starting problems & oil viscosity

If Alfa Romeo engineers thought for one moment that engine block heaters
would ever be necessary, I think they would have made provisions for such.
I do not understand why so many "smarter-than-them" use motor oils that tend
to gel in extreme cold weather when the factory tells us to use 10W40
synthetics that pour at below freezing temperatures.   Do you forget that
the lighter oils lubricate better to slow engine wear and allow engines to
crank over faster for easier starting?  I suspect those of you who use the
heavier grades do so to help reduce oil consumption instead of curing the
problem that causes too much oil consumption.
I'm surprised at those who live up North that do not change the tranny
fluids to allow easier shifting and treat differentials with the right
viscosities too.  Don't want to spend a few extra bucks for proper
lubrication?  Then suffer the consequences with expensive repairs!  Fred Di
Matteo