Re: 105 Mechanical Fuel Pumps

IMO, it's not worth trying to rebuild a mechanical fuel pump.  If you
really want the stock look, try buying a new one.

Again, IMO, the way to go is electric.  The traditional fitment is an
electric plunger type pump.  The pump is a vertical cylinder with a
round top, and a wire and two fittings on the side.  This is the old
style Bendix pump as was fitted to some Giulias.  The ones fitted to
Alfas were probably Bosch, made under license.  You can still get these
new.  These pumps have an integral gas filter in the bottom.  You can
get replacement filters from <gasp> Nissan dealers.  The 240Z used the
same pump.  The old style Bendix pumps are extremely reliable.

The other electric pump commonly used looks like an audio transformer
with a pipe fitting sticking out one side.  These are solid state with
no contact points.  They work well too.  Get the low pressure version.

Your car should have a fuel pressure regulator, if not, they're a good
idea.  Both the Bendix and solid state pumps can be had in the correct
3-5 psi pressure range, so a regulator may not be essential.

Absolutely STAY AWAY from electric diaphragm pumps.  These are easy to
spot by the circle of bolts around the top.  They are all junk.  You
will be replacing them every 6 months.