Re: Tempering Springs

Warren Reid confirmed what spring makers and racers have been telling me.
Old springs don't lose spring rate, they lose ride height. The sagging
GTV rear ends are best cured with new springs. Some cold-wound Silicon
Steel springs are guaranteed for life.  The better materials may have
a comparable elastic modulus, but their failure point is much higher.

I don't believe there's any way you can cut metal out of a spring, put
it back in the car, and have the car sit higher, assuming all the other
parts went back in the same place.  When measuring the effect of ride
height changes however, it's best to disconnect the shocks.