Re: Tyres?

>Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:46:30 -0000
>From: Alex Orsillo <alex.orsillo@domain.elided>
>Subject: Tyres?
>
>I need some new tyres on my 164. The current size is 195/60 VR15 on alfa
>6Jx15H2 alloys.  This is the standard size, but I was wondering if
>slightly wider tyres will fit? If so what size would they need to be to
>keep the over diam of the wheel the same, and what are the pros and cons
>of doing it?

205/55VR15 is the closest size you can get. Going to a 215/55 is a little
too large in terms of diameter and also width. 205 on a 6" wide rim is
plenty wide enough. Heck, we race with 195/60s on 7" rims (but they are
Yokohamas and quite qide in the tread to start with).
Going to a 55 series tyre will cost you more, and the ride may end up a
little harsher too, due to the construction of the tyre( Lower profiles will
tend to have a stiffer sidewall).
205/55 tyres will clear any Alfetta arches with standard rims as long as
it's not lowered drastically.
- --
Nathan Wong		http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
		      Super Touring - Club Cars - Alfa Romeo