164 Fuel Problem

In a-d V7-319 I read:

"A couple of months ago, my 91 164 had the familiar problem of the split
fuel line on the fuel pump in the gas tank.

I replaced the line.   Ran great for a month and the no start ago (sic).
After much time investigating I discovered the line I replaced had come off.
I put it back on and made sure the clamps were tight( do not want to
take the pump out again, ever)."

I suffered the same misfortune, and although I'm much faster at removing and
replacing the fuel pump now, it's still a pain. Thank goodness for the large
trunk.

An after-the-fact discovery: standard fuel line is probably not suitable for
in-tank use. The original hose was one layer with external braid. I used a
Gates product designed for fuel-injected cars. It has two layers of rubber
with fabric reinforcement between and will certainly withstand the pressure.
However, the outer layer swells and softens under constant exposure to
gasoline or gasoline vapor! When this occurred on my car, the original worm-
drive hose clamps let go, and I came home on the hook.

I've since put on some Gates "PowerGrip CT Series" clamps which use a constant
tension design. I've also investigated a Wurth brand hose which swells and
softens less, but still changes under the constant immersion. Maybe that
original equipment hose had some solid engineering behind its choice after
all!

Anyone out there have a definitive answer to this problem?

Bob McKeown
McNeon@domain.elided