Re: Uregnt 164 Buying advice needed

My '91L exhibits NONE of the problems you mention (113,000 miles)--my
friends '91S also has none of them--Yours sounds like a badly abused,
mistreated, unmaintained pile of junk. Perhaps you should find
another--though if the mileage and prior fixits can be verified, The
price is about 2 to 3K below market--if you like fixing things up.

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998 DMER@domain.elided wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This afternoon I looked at a 1991 164S Alfa. It's clean with some paint damage
> on the rear spoiler and trunk. The other problems are the leather on the dash
> at the instrument binnacle needs to be redone, the front seats are in fair
> condition and the bottom is ripped out of the rear seat on the passenger side
> needing to have several panels sewn in. On the test drive the rear windows
> didn't want to go back up with one very very slow when it did start working
> after several minutes of trying the switches. ( I discovered the lock switch
> for the back windows but it wasn;t related to that.) The front passenger
> window went down and wouldn't go up until I fiddled with the switch for about
> four minutes. Also, the seat switches are reluctant to work. The owner tells
> me it just needs to have the switches replaced and he will do the ones on the
> windows. He warns me though that they will go bad again...is this right?
>
> The car has 102,000 miles on it and is located in Louisiana. It's owned by an
> alfa mechanic who says he bought it from a customer and he replaced the
> stepper motors about 30,000 miles ago and the clutch a few thousand ago. He
> says all the services have been done, timing belts, cv joints, etc recently.
>
> He wants $7000 without the interior cosmetics done or $7500 with the interior
> cosmetics done and is willing to offer a 60 day warranty in wrtiting on the
> major assemblies.
>
> I REALLY want a 164S... But is this a good deal? It's black with tan interior
> which I really like. The mileage, electrics and price scare me.
>
> Please give your input. Is it a good deal? Is the price high? What should I
> offer or should I just keep looking? This is the first one I've seen for sale
> in Louisiana in two years.
>
> Please answer to the list and to me personally at dmer@domain.elided as I was hoping
> to buy in a day or two.
>
> Thank you in advance,