GTV-6 Hard Cold Starting

My father has an '85 GTV-6 and is having a hard time starting his car
when the weather dips below 40 degrees.  The car will start up just fine
when it is warm out but, once it the weather drops, it takes him a while
to get the car started.  I do not know the Bosch system very well but, I
told him there might be some sort of "cold starting" sensor or doohickie
that is not functioning (relating back to the old Spica system).

He says that the engine will just turn over and will not fire when he
first tries to start the car.  Then he puts the pedal to the firewall
and releases it, the car will eventually start.

What could be the problem?

Please advise.