Milano Automatic

Hi All,

I needed to replace the gear selector cable in our '88 Milano Platinum
automatic; this is the cable that connects the gear-selector lever to the
automatic tranny in the rear.  Thus I ordered an Alfa replacement cable,
and yesterday a local mechanic and I spent most of the morning trying to
install it so that it would work, but with no success.  The problem is as
follows.  The cable is contained within a spiral sheath so that it can be
operated in compression as well tension, however the sheath for the
replacement cable is nowhere near as sturdy as that for the original cable.
Thus the problem with the replacement cable is that when the gear selector
is pushed forward and the cable is being compressed, the cable and sheath
bend so that there is no action on the lever at the tranny.  Nothing is
hanging up in the tranny, however, because it can easily be shifted by hand
by reaching under the car and shifting the lever itself (I have actually
driven it this way, but it is a real pain when you have to back up).  The
bottom line is that the sheath on the replacement cable appears to be too
flimsy, and if anyone has any words of wisdom I would certainly appreciate
receiving them.  The car has already been out of commission for over two
weeks awaiting the replacement cable that doesn't work.

Bob Cess, Stony Brook, NY
'59 Giulietta Spint
'69 Spider
'88 Milano (shiftless)