164 Oil Filter

If you put your car up on ramps, the filter is easy to remove/replace without
removing any other parts. You'll also get a chance to nose around (checking
for leaks, etc.)under there whenever you change your oil, too.

On my '91 L, I can roll under on a creeper (head towards back of the car),
reach up with my left arm, and easily loosen or tighten the filter. A generic
metal-strap filter wrench is easy to get on the filter as well. One
recommendation: put a wad of something absorbent like paper towels around the
motor mount directly under the filter. If you spill any oil, it's a pain to
clean it out of the mount, and I suspect the oil will deteriorate the rubber
mount fairly quickly.

Bob McKeown
McNeon@domain.elided