RE: Alfa parts issues...long winded

> >   I agree that Alfa dealers could do a better job of selling their own
> > parts.  I have tried to use them as much as possible, but it's hard and
> > getting worse.  More power to you if you could improve things.
>
> First of all, Thanks to all who sent comments..I appreciate it.
>
> [[[[PLEASE, read this in the tone intended, I am trying to do something
> positive if this idea flies.]]]]
>
> 	One reason I quoted the above, is simply this. Many Alfa owners have
> not come to grips with a simple fact.

however true this may be, there is a flaw in your marketing research.  you
started by soliciting input, then switched to trying to educate your market.

the average alfa consumer may not completely understand how ardona works, or
even care.  the average alfa consumer knows what he wants, or needs.  the
person that can offer that will succeed.  when no one can offer consistent
parts availability, then alfa's will no longer be used for daily
transportation (in this country).

if you think it's economically unfeasible for a dealer to try to support
alfa's now, wait until they're only being used as once-a-month cars.  i see
cars like george foggs tz1 or tz2 over at glynns shop.  not that these cars
were ever daily drivers, but there is a general acceptance of the fact that
when they need something, they are going to be opened up and out of service
for a while.  imho we're heading to the point where more and more alfas are
treated this way and fewer and fewer are relied upon as daily drivers.

personally, i agree with you regarding price.  unless you're way out of line
with everybody else, price doesn't matter to me.  however, if i'm placing a
large parts order and there's a significant savings to be had, i just might
go looking for it.

i'd like to see a really good web presence.  i can't count the number of
times i've tried to find time during a busy workday to place a phone call
for a parts order, only to find that it's after 5:00 by the time i get
around to it.  give me a comprehensive on-line catalog with useful links to
related technical information.  cover as much of the oem stuff as you can,
fill in the rest with the best you can find, and offer some useful
performance stuff as well.

i'd like a single source for everything.  if you offer only maintenance
items, i've got sources for those.  are you going to cover the early stuff?
will i be able to buy alfetta parts?  (does your dealer *really* want to
invest in supporting alfas, or just the milano/spider/164 crowd?  i'm not
going one place for my alfetta parts and another for my milano parts, i'd
just as soon keep the guy that's supporting my alfetta in business.)

i also appreciate it when a parts guy offers information, and/or recommends
stuff that should be purchased along with what i'm buying.  for example, cv
joint grease and clamps with cv joint boots.  i'd like the comprehensive web
software to handle that as well, or the supplier to offer things like that
as kits.

with all that, unless you can go outside your local community i don't see
how you can make a real profit.  i had a friend here in new england in the
80's who went to work for woburn foreign motors in the parts dept.  they
were a strong toyota/jaguar dealer, and a struggling alfa dealer (but doing
better than most).  he used to show up at the autocrosses with a pickup
truck loaded with parts and sell them at a discount.  he did a lot of things
right, tried real hard, and had good intentions.  he grew the alfa parts
business by something like 400%, which i think put them at or near the break
even point.

hope this helps,

bs