emissions test time

It seems my car is due for its biannual emissions test again so last week I
adjusted the timing, increased the idle, tuned the Spica and took it in. In
WA they test both at idle and under load@~2500 rpm. The car did fine under
all counts except for the idle CO% which was 3.77 instead of the 3.00
limit. Anyone have any tips on how to lower this?

Couple of things:
	The timing may be too far advanced, I got pinging from about
1500-2500 rpm. After the test I switched to a higher octane gas and it went
away. The car feels stronger and revs much faster so I left it for the time
being.
	The car is missing the majority of the emissions control
equiptment: cat, air pump, converted to Crane XR700...
	Durring the tune up I discovered that the fuel cut off microswitch
is not working. I thought I heard that the spica pump has to be removed in
order to replace the switch. Is this true? I can't find any info on how to
replace it.
	Also, for the life of me I can not get the car to idle at the same
speed every time. It is 800 some times and 1100 at others. It is always
nice and smooth and doesn't hunt so an air leak seems doubtful. Any
thoughts?

The car passed with flying colors two years ago. The only real changes
since then have been converting from points to the crane set-up along with
an e-coil. If anything I would think that would help things.

thanks,
- -Obie
'78 Alfetta GT

P.S.- I made the mistake of removing the timing mark pointer once (not
knowing that it is adjustable) and I don't think I got it back on exactly
right. Any tricks for how to fix this?

End of alfa-digest V7 #310