Re: emissions test time

Obie wrote:

>It seems my car is due for its biannual emissions test again so last week
>adjusted the timing, increased the idle, tuned the Spica and took it in.
In
>WA they test both at idle and under load@~2500 rpm. The car did fine under
>all counts except for the idle CO% which was 3.77 instead of the 3.00
>limit. Anyone have any tips on how to lower this?

Obie, without a cattalytic converter, there is little you can do to reduce
this.  If the car originally came with a cat, and the WA emissions specs
were set for the car with the cat, you will have a great deal of trouble
achieving low enough CO emissions to pass.  Reinstall the cat, and you'll
see the CO emissions drop to nearly zero.  Highly advanced timing can raise
CO, so you may want to back off a bit and try again.  When the timing is
set correctly, on 87 octane fuel, the engine shouldn't ping.

>P.S.- I made the mistake of removing the timing mark pointer once (not
>knowing that it is adjustable) and I don't think I got it back on exactly
>right. Any tricks for how to fix this?

Buy a degree wheel and a piston stop, and you can use them to find the
correct spot to place the pointer.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco