164 high octane fuel

Hi Folks,
Ive noticed that my 3.0 164 has been pinking at low revs, possibly since I changed the tensioner and T-belt
but it may be that its always done this because the old T-belt, a non Alfa part fitted by the previous owner
,was a little noisy and covered the sound. To try and rectify this I put some superplus unleaded, high
octane stuff in the tank. The result is incredible, the car runs and starts better and there is far more torque
at lower revs than there has ever been, a right result as they say!. The problem is that normal unleaded is
0.62 GBP / L  , thats 4.90 USD / Gal and the Superplus is a tears to the eyes 0.78 GBP/ L , thats 6.23 USD
/Gal. I know that this is outrageous to the Americans but its the price we pay in this country. My question
is what experience do people have with aftermarket octane boosters which allow me to buy the cheap stuff
but then get the same result for a lesser price?
Regards
Mike Salter
1992 164 3.0L