Re: U.S. Gran Prix

On Dec 3,  8:24am, Hanknum@domain.elided wrote:> Subject: U.S. Gran Prix

> I read in the L.A. Times yesterday that there would be a F1 race Indianapolis
> in the year 2000.  Anyone else have any info?  Is this actually going to
> happen?

I follow F1 pretty closely, and it seems very likely that there will be a U.S.
Grand Prix (note spelling) again soon, probably in 2000.  Last I heard, the
venue had not been finally agreed, but currently Indianapolis seems to be the
hot favorite.  Other locations mentioned as possibilities have included Vegas,
Atlanta, Detroit, San Fran, and others I think (maybe Phoenix, the site of the
last US GP in 1991, which I attended).  Bernie Ecclestone (big cheese of F1)
has recently had talks with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner, and they
seem to be trying to agree on a race date.  It would make sense to have the
race close to the Montreal GP to keep travel costs down, and there was even a
rumour that Ecclestone was trying to get the GP to displace the Indy 500 race,
although I think this is unlikely.  The final decision has not been made to the
best of my knowledge, and the real confirmation will not come until around this
time next year when the 2000 race calendar is announced.

Now if only Alfa Romeo would get back into F1 racing...

Dave J.
82 GTV6 (needs a passenger door, Chicago area...anybody?)

- --