Hardening of metal during plating

I buy a lot of plating services and from conversations I have had with =
many platers they tell me that the various acid baths used during some =
plating processes will cause a degree of surface "embritlement". They =
are usually only concerned about this if the plated parts are very small =
in which case they could break. I wouldn't be too concerned about =
plating cast wheels as they are not in the acid baths long enough to =
cause serious problems. Perhaps the chemists or engineers among us more =
knowledgeable than I can provide us with details.
Roger