Anyone tried a Supertrap on an Alfa?

Hey cats,

Has anyone tried a Supertrap muffler on an Alfa 4 cyl?
The one with the removable plates for control of backpressure.

I see one at a local shop for a great deal and I got to
thinking because of my exhaust configuration: I recently
put on the Shankle header on my Alfetta. It turns out
that I have a hollowed out cat and 2" pipes all the way
back. I noticed some improvement between 5 and 6
thousand rpm and it wants to keep pulling into the redline.
(can I take it into redline?) Low end has no improvement,
maybe even worse.

I was thinking to try it out to see if I can get back some
backpressure to move the power band down a bit. I'd
like some get-up-and-go down low. I have an exhaust
tip that is turned down, so I have no problem with fumes
(Alfetta GT). Any thoughts on what it would do to that?

I plan to put a real cat on in one year, when my next
smog is due. Being able to retune the exhaust when I
do this should be good, no?

Other points - '79 California intake stuff, '74 engine (i.e.,
cams and Spica unit from a '74). Air pump operational.
K&N filters. No headwork (so far).

Another thing - does the mixture need to be adjusted
to accommodate all that free flow?

Incidentally, that header makes the whole exhaust system
sit real low. The clamp, collector, and cat scrape over
just about everything. It just clears the bottom of the
engine, so it can't get any higher there. Anyone experience
this and try getting the pipe bent up a bit after the engine/
before the collector? It looks like there's some room
there.

Sorry I didn't number my questions, I started off with just
that Supertrap question and I just kept going. Everything
seems related.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Stefano
Oakland, CA