Re: 164L Tires and Wheels

To add my two bits worth, for reasons not important here, I mounted my
205/60 AVSi's on 5 1/2" rims. These tires on 6" rims were great--on the 5
1/2s, the Spider now drives like a truck.

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 Genyee@domain.elided wrote:

> For 16" wheel, I would go for 205/55ZR-16 in stead of 225/50/ZR-16.
> I think 17" ride would be to harsh as daily drive for my own taste.
>
> My own experience:
> For 15" wheel, 205/60-15 has better handling than 215/60-15,  Although
> 215 is wider, it has higher tire wall, so is actually softer than 205/60-15.
> Beside, wider tire also slow down top speed and acceleration, and has
> lower gas mileage too.
>
> A while ago, a car magazine done a test on various tires and wheel sizes.
> on a BWM 540i revealed the same result.  Without bigger wheel, too wide
> tires is actually a performance down grade.  And over sized wheel only
> offer marginal handling gain if done correctly.  If done incorrectly, cause
> car to handle erratically.
>
> Karl Chen
>

> Ok, all you 164 owners out there, I need your help.  The newly acquired 1991
> 164L needs new tires and since I hate the stock rims I have decided to upgrade
> to 16 or 17 inch rims.  I am considering 16X7.5 inch TSW Hock R rims with
> Yokohama AVS S4 in 225/50ZR-16 or 17X7.5 inch TSW Hock R rims with Yokohama
> AVS S4 in 255/40ZR-17.  Here is where you come in.  Which should I buy?  I
> would prefer the 17 inch setup if it will not rub or cause other problems.
> <<

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******