164L Tires and Wheels

For 16" wheel, I would go for 205/55ZR-16 in stead of 225/50/ZR-16.
I think 17" ride would be to harsh as daily drive for my own taste.

My own experience:
For 15" wheel, 205/60-15 has better handling than 215/60-15,  Although
215 is wider, it has higher tire wall, so is actually softer than 205/60-15.
Beside, wider tire also slow down top speed and acceleration, and has
lower gas mileage too.

A while ago, a car magazine done a test on various tires and wheel sizes.
on a BWM 540i revealed the same result.  Without bigger wheel, too wide
tires is actually a performance down grade.  And over sized wheel only
offer marginal handling gain if done correctly.  If done incorrectly, cause
car to handle erratically.

Karl Chen

Ok, all you 164 owners out there, I need your help.  The newly acquired 1991
164L needs new tires and since I hate the stock rims I have decided to upgrade
to 16 or 17 inch rims.  I am considering 16X7.5 inch TSW Hock R rims with
Yokohama AVS S4 in 225/50ZR-16 or 17X7.5 inch TSW Hock R rims with Yokohama
AVS S4 in 255/40ZR-17.  Here is where you come in.  Which should I buy?  I
would prefer the 17 inch setup if it will not rub or cause other problems.
<<