164L Tires and Wheels

Ok, all you 164 owners out there, I need your help.  The newly acquired 1991
164L needs new tires and since I hate the stock rims I have decided to upgrade
to 16 or 17 inch rims.  I am considering 16X7.5 inch TSW Hock R rims with
Yokohama AVS S4 in 225/50ZR-16 or 17X7.5 inch TSW Hock R rims with Yokohama
AVS S4 in 255/40ZR-17.  Here is where you come in.  Which should I buy?  I
would prefer the 17 inch setup if it will not rub or cause other problems.