Re: 164 wheels and tires

we've had quite a bit of talk of this recently. Here is my summation:

1)wheel size affects handling- 16" keeps some comfort and economy, 17" is
basically for non-daily drivers (unless you can stand it) and the tires (no
matter what brand) will cost a pretty penny.

2)I wouldn't go above 215mm simply because there is a tendancy for the tires
to rub- in front this means the plastic engine bay shields (not too
terrible) and in back it means the trailing arm (it's metal, it's a vital
suspension piece, it won't  give to a tire rubbing it, so you figure it
out...). Just make sure you have the clearance once the tires are on the car
if you go with wider rubber.

3)I just put on my 2nd set of S4's, in 205-60 VR15. I got good wear and
great overall performance from them when compared to the P4000's  and
A509's I have run before. I also got basically 1/2 price tires this time b/c
they have a 40K warranty, very nice for us hard-drivin Alfisti.

best of luck
Mark Domby