Re: fuel tank

In message , Regan Dale Copple <copple@domain.elided> writes
>Haven't you ever seen those movies where the bad guys turn
>on the gas in the stove and throw a lit cigarette on the floor, so then at
>some later time the good guys come along, open the door, and BA-BOOM,
>because all that gas just mixed with enough oxygen to sustain combustion.
So how does the gas know not to ignite when the gas content is building
up to more than the upper explosive limit, before the good guys come
along? And how does the cigarette ignite the gas, I've tried it dozens
of times without success.
Maybe it has something to do with the device fitted to all american cars
which makes them explode after a small impact, well they do in films
anyway.

- --
Jonathan Coates