Re: gtv6 alternator and wipers

Jaap Bouma wrote:

> Firstly, the alternator is way past its best, and I'm thinking of putting
> in a larger alternator instead of the 65A bosch currently fitted. In the
> miserable weather we're having, it's struggling to supply the headlights,
> foglights, a/c, blower and rear window demister. Unfortunately, I can't
> find one that will fit my car, despite wasting hours of the staff's time at
> parts shops, bosch dealers and lucas outlets. Can anybody suggest one that
> will fit? I seem to remember somebody mentioning that he/she used an
> alternator from a mercedes. The bloke at lucas thought that I just might be
> able to make one for a mark 2 volkswagen golf(rabbit) fit, but he would
> have to order one, and he wasn't sure it would fit.

Jaap,

I'm the GTV6 owner with the Mercedes Bosch alternator. I've pulled out the
receipt, the warranty card, the box and nothing has a model number on it!
#:^0

The invoice says "modified Mercedes alternator."

I also look at the AD archives and unfortunately they only go back to July
when Richard moved the Digest to it's current home. I got the alternator in
early June. I thought I wrote about it La Pilota, but can't find a word
about it. If some one has archived the AD back in JUne maybe they can find
the model number in the post I made at the time. I'd like the info too.

Contact B.J. Johnson at bjaz@domain.elided. He's the mechanic I got the unit
from. Either he'll tell which model it is and how it's modified or he'll
sell you one (~$150US + shipping & handling).

You probably can't get hold of him until Monday since today is a national
holiday.

Wish I could help you more. It seems that lady luck just isn't smilin' on
you today. The new alternator and lubing of the electrical contacts with
Stabilant 22 on the wiper system should hopefully fix the slow wipers.

Best of luck,
Bernie Zelazny
Texas Hill Country AROC-USA
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas USA
     Animated global position (~2:30 load @ 28.8):
          http://www.alpinetexas.com/map_zoom.html

     Divided by Zero Productions web sites:
Texas Hill Country Alfa Romeo Owners Club-USA
   Serving Austin & San Antonio, Texas
          http://www.brooksdata.net/personal/thc-aroc-usa
Alfa Romeo Owners Club-USA
          http://www.aroc-usa.org