Re: alfa-digest V7 #286

> consider. I would not hesitate to do business with them again (even
> though shipping charges cost an arm and a leg)..... Just thought I'd let
> you all know.......

Does anybody know of an Alfa parts distributor in Canada.  It is such a
hassle to deal with cross boarder shipping.

> Onto my Milano now. It has been difficult to shift, and there is a lot
> of play in the gearshift (gear knob whatever..) when it is in gear. When
> moving it from side-to-side there is a sound that is hard to
> explain...its not a scraping sound, but I guess a rubber scraping
> sound?...Anyhow, another car I test drove in Toronto had the same
> problem but the used car dealer said it was typical and hat there was
> nothing in wrong with it... I described the problem to Alfa Heaven and
> they mentioned that I needed a new "monkey linkage". Can anyone expand
> on that....

I believe the Milano is exactly like my old Alfetta sedan.  In which case
there are a few bushings in the shift linkage that get old and wear out.
They are not very hard to replace other than that you have to crawl around
under the car.  Bad engine, DeDion tube or transmission mounts can also be
part of the problem.

> Finally, a 164s has popped up for sale in Toronto, and my Dad and I are
> thinking of buying it. One thing we can't overlook though is how much
> new shocks are for the 164s. IAP has them listed for ~$688U.S.  A full
> set would run around ~4000-5000 Canadian. Is there any alternative to
> the factory original shocks? Is disconnecting the whole electronic
> apparatus an option?

I believe you can get after-market non computerized shocks that are very good
(Koni?) and are MUCH cheaper.  Still, it's a shame to lose that cool gimmick
of the switch on the dash that controls the shocks.  To be honest, I can't
tell the difference between the "sport" and "normal" settings anyway.

I love my 164S, but it is a very expensive car to maintain - especially in
Canada.  It is much more complicated than the Milano and it seems that all
the extra systems constantly require fiddling with.

Good luck,
Lawrence Hegarty               lah@domain.elided          Montreal, Quebec
91 164S
86 Spider