RE: 66 TI Fuel Guage Sending Unit Questions

 =

> 1. The sending unit has been partially immersed in high test
> Amoco gasoline for almost 27 years. The portion below the fuel
> line is in fairly good shape. The portion above the fuel looks
> like it spent time in a salt water bath. The copper parts are
> a deep powdery turquoise and everything else is covered in
> scaly rust. The electrical circuitry is corroded, contacts
> are corroded, no resistance through the unit as the float is
> moved. Are these units rebuildable?

Yes. I just finished rejuvenating the fuel sender unit from my
'66 GTV. Carefully take things apart. This should involve
drilling out the rivets at the top of the unit (replace these
rivets with screws on reassembly) and bending a few tabs (be
very careful with the tabs).

When you get things apart, check the resistance wire with an
ohmmeter. If the wire is broken you may want to just replace
the whole unit. Otherwise, clean the scale and crystalline
material from the tubing and case. I used a pen knife--various
organic solvents seemed not to help. Carefully clean up the
resistance wire and wiper arms. I used fine steel wool, but
some non-ferrous material may be a better choice. Remove any
steel wool bits when done!

On one of the units I repaired, the wiper arm tip was worn
thru. This was repaired with a little solder and a file. =

Before reassembly check the operation of the unit with an
ohmmeter. Make sure things work before you put everything
back together! Also, you may have to bend things a bit to
make good contact.

On the gas tank, I'd take it to a radiator shop and have
it boiled out and then sealed. In St Louis MO this cost
about $105US.

Good luck,

Rich