Halon

Halon extinguishes flames by scavanging the Hydrogen radicals.  For
combustion to continue (propagate), hydrogen radicals are required to split
the Oxygen molecules forming an Oxygen radical and a hydroxy radical.

Halogens such as Bromine and Florine are more reactive with the hydrogen
radicals than the O2 is, so they wind up scavanging the hydrogen and thus
combustion can't propagate.

CO2 and dry chemical extinguishers, on the other hand, work by displacing the
oxygen from the fuel.  Water extinguishers work primarilly by cooling the
reactants which slows the propagation reactions down to the point where they
terminate before they can continue.  Metal fires don't depend on hydrogen
radicals to propagate, and therefore Halon is worthless on them.  I'm not
sure how you put out a metal fire (i.e. what's in the metal fire
extinguishers), but I'd suspect they are some inert ingredient that displaces
the oxygen from the fuel.

Bob Brady, DVAROC
Recovering Combustion Research Engineer