Montreal vs Dino vs ...

     All this talk about the Montreal and its wonderful driving qualities
     has got me thinking.  It happens that my favorite cars (in terms of
     looks, driving feel, mistique) are the 6- and 8-cylinder 2+2 coupes of
     the early '70's.  These include the Montreal and its competitors.
     They are, as I see it:

     - Montreal
     - Fiat Dino
     - BMW 3.0 CS
     - Porsche 911 ('70-'73 models)
     - Mercedes 280 SL

     Others that could be considered (but in a higher price category, then
     and now, and even more exotic) are: Maserati Mexico and Indy;
     Lamborghini Urraco; Ferrari 365 GTC.  Of these only the Maseratis are
     anywhere close in affordability to the ones above.  The ones above are
     the only ones I can realistically think of owning unless I win the
     lottery.  One could also consider the American competition...Mustang
     and Camaro (first generation models for each).

     I have driven a '73 Porsche 911E.  Was like a Volkswagen on steroids,
     extremely responsive and light-feeling.  I want one someday.

     I have driven 2 or 3 BMW 3.0 CS's.  Much more of a "big-car" feeling
     than the Porsche...kinda like my '71 Mercedes 300SEL, big steering
     wheel, solid feeling, but kind of vague steering. Would be better for
     long-distance cruising than the raucous Porsche.  Porsche would be
     much more fun on the track.  My 74 GTV is more basic than the Porsche,
     and just as responsive.  But that's getting away from the idea of the
     cars above.  Probably the only CS that would be close to as responsive
     as the other cars I list would be the CSL; this is getting pretty
     exotic.

     I haven't driven the Fiat or the Alfa.  The Fiat looks like a
     sweet-driving car.

     Has anyone else driven a cross-section of the cars I mention above?
     What did you think?

     Doug Bender