Re: GTV6 fuses

The radio in my '85 GTV6 has always worked with the ignition off.  Also,
the same fuse Quentin refers to blew a couple of years ago.  After
replacing it with an 8A fuse a couple of times within the next week, it was
replaced with a 16A fuse.  It hasn't blown since, but I really don't like
having that 16A fuse in there.

I don't think fuses can blow for no reason.  If they blow it's either
because there's a real problem or because the fuse was distressed in some
way.

 -Robert

>Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:50:36 +1300
>From: "Bourke, Quentin" <BouQue@domain.elided>
>Subject: GTV6 fuses
>
>My GTV6 blew fuse four (8 amp - controls clock, indicators, radio, and, I
>think, brake lights). The fuse which blew was rated 16amp. I replaced it
>with an 8 amp fuse as per manual. It lasted about five days before blowing.
>I replaced it with a 16 amp fuse which is still in one piece 200km later.
>The fuse which blew had been in the car for as long as I've had it
>~25,000km.
>
>I wonder
>a) how are other GTV6s wired - do others radios/cassettes/CDs operate like
>mine without the ignition on?
>b) when I snapped in the 16amp fuse I got some distinct puffs of smoke is
>this to be expected or unusual
>c) can fuses blow for no reason or is it more likely there is some
>underlying problem of which the fuse is just the symptom

 Robert Abatecola       | Software Development, Network Consulting,
 The Stradivarian Group | Database Development (4D, FoxPro, FMPro,
 (408) 257-4482         | PowerBuilder), Internet Connectivity,
 robert@domain.elided       | Macintosh/UNIX/Windows