2+2 GTVs

Karl & Virginia Rimbach wrote:
>I have been told that the gtv 2000 is legally a 2 seater. Is that true?
and
>were would I have proof if an officer of the law were to question my
>claims that I don't deserve a $271.00 ticket?

Dana Loomis replied:
>There was an extended discussion of this question here just a few
>months ago.  Alfa Romeo described the GTV and other models of the
>Bertone coupe as 2-seaters or as 4-seaters depending on the time
>and the market.To race the GTA in Europe, Alfa had to convince the
>FIA that it was a 4-seater.
>However, US-model 2000s came with a sticker in the middle of the
>back seat that said something like "not to be occupied while the
> vehicle is in motion"; in other words "this seat is not a seat."  To
>complicate things further, the rear seat was an extra-cost option,
>but seems to have been installed in virtually every car produced.
>
>The bottom line is probably that a 2000 GTV is "officially" whatever
>the cop says it is and you won't be able to produce any documentation
>to change his/her mind.  If I were a cop, I'd look at the rear seat
>and call it a 4-seater.

The following is lifted from Steve Piantieri's Alfa Boutique website:
Newest items: Precise reproduction of the two adhesive stickers from the
1972, 1973, and 1974 GTV describing "Rear seats should not be used..."
and the second larger sticker with Alfa Romeo logo showing vehicle
emission control information that is placed on the firewall next to the
air filter assembly. Black on
white, correct rounded corners and outlines for those enthusiasts
involved in concours or wanting every item for the perfect car -
$18/pair. When these are gone, they are  definitely GONE!

I have no direct interest in this subject as I don't put more than one
passenger in my Spider anyway!!  I would not recommend travelling in any
car with only two people in a 3+ HOV lane.  Sticker or no sticker.  If
people want to buy a replacement sticker from Mr. Piantieri, they are
welcome to, there is no profit motive for me.  :^)

Back under my dry rock
Gordy
NWARC

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]