Searching for Cromodoras

     I have missed three chances to buy Cromodoras at quite reasonable
     prices.

     A couple of years ago Phyllis Gaylard was selling the set that had
     been on her race GTV (which she has owned since new as a street car).
     I was talking to her at a time trial, she mentioned they were for
     sale, I said how much, she said $400 for the set.  I was at that point
     (Nov 96) way over budget for spending on my car for the year and had
     decided to put a lid on it for the rest of the year, and passed them
     up.  Later at a club meeting I asked her if she still had them, and
     they were sold (big surprise!).  I kicked myself for the next year,
     and eventually bought a nice set of Campy 5-stars for $300.  Campys
     look almost as nice as Cromodoras and are the second best looking
     wheel for a GTV but not quite the real thing.  Oh well, at least I
     don't think anyone will steal them.

     Then two weeks ago at the Alfa Club swap meet a dealer had a set for
     $500.  This time I would have bought but they were already sold when I
     spotted them.

     Then, last weekend at the "Under 3 liter French and Italian Car show
     and swap meet" (my second-favorite show, after Concours Italiano), my
     friend Tony Licalzi told me he had passed up a set that some guy
     selling mostly Citroen/Renault stuff was offering at $200.  I said
     that's $200 each right, and Tony said no, $200 for the whole set.
     Only one was on display, the rest were back at the dealer's storehouse
     I guess.  I can't vouch for this one, just taking Tony's word, but if
     he's right someone got a deal!  (Tony is an AD'er, and is one of those
     guys who seems to turn up some incredible deal every time I talk to
     him...a GTV6 that just needed the tranny reassembled for $500, or he
     traded his Cosworth Vega that he hadn't been able to sell for a very
     nice GTV and a truckload of parts, etc.)

     Guess the message is...just keep looking!

     Doug Bender

End of alfa-digest V7 #271