Milano/75 Head Gaskets

I know this has probably been posted and discussed before, but I would
welcome any experiences/opinions.  I've got the dreaded mayonnaise around
the cooler header tank cap on my 2.5.  Not a vast amount, but it is there.
Oil is clean and nothing on the back of the oil filler cap.
I know that this is a head gasket problem (unless anyone can suggest
anything else).  However, do I need to worry and how much?  Will it get
worse, and if so how will I know and what will be the consequences?  Is it
likely at some stage the gasket will blow totally?  What is the time scale
on all of this?
The basic position is that I can't really justify or afford to have the
gaskets replaced (about 900 pounds sterling - anyone in UK had them done
anywhere cheaper?) but dont want the car to die on me totally.  Any
experiences of people much appreciated!

Lyndon Martin