164 Scraping Noise

- ------------------Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:03:34 +1300
From: "Matthew Dooher" <matthew.dooher@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 scraping noise
Over the last few months (ever since I have the car) there has been
asort
of scraping metal noise that has been difficult to locate. Recently
ithas
got worse. Or it could be that all the repairs I have done havequietened
everything else down.The noise has the following properties.
It sounds like a cross between a stone caught in the brakes andsomething
rubbing on the brake shield. But It isn't the brakes that I can tell.
It only occurs when the car in gear.

Matthew,

Something similar happened to me. Only in gear it occurs. Mine sounded
like plastic. It turned out that the carrier bearing started to come
apart and the axle of my car was bouncing back and forth in the brace.
The oranguntang that replaced my transmission seals failed to tighten
the bolts where my carrier bearing was located. It was real scary at
80 mph. speeds! It got to the point where I felt it in the steering
column. Hope this helps!

Danny
91 164 L
110k