164 scraping noise

Over the last few months (ever since I have the car) there has been a sort
of scraping metal noise that has been difficult to locate. Recently it has
got worse. Or it could be that all the repairs I have done have quietened
everything else down.
The noise has the following properties.

It sounds like a cross between a stone caught in the brakes and something
rubbing on the brake shield. But It isn't the brakes that I can tell.

It only occurs when the car in gear.

Only when accelerating medium hard to flat out at about 3000 revs or greater

OR when cornering but again only in gear

To me sitting in the drivers seat (RHD) it seems to come from low down in
front of the gear shift.

It sounds expensive.

Does this sound like something anyone has heard before? I have just finished
replacing shocks bushes disks etc and I don't think it is any of that. ....
I have been wrong before of course

thanks everyone

Matthew Dooher
89 164L