Using a '71 gtv as a daily drive.....

Lawrence wrote: " But the idea of air conditioning and low wind noise and the
very nice feeling the Audi has is also appealing.  Is anyone out there using
an older GTV as a daily - rainy day, sunny day, hot day, cold day - driver?
I'm pining over this decision."

Part of the answer to this question depends on where you live.  Your greatest
concern for using the GTV as daily transport should probably be rust (if you
live in such an area).  That said, accidents may also be an issue.  Finally,
replacing the windshield may also be difficult.  But....

as a former daily gtv driver (2+ years in PA) I can say that it is a great
experience.  You will arrive at work with grins on your face, and after a
long day, arrive at home with a new set of grins.

If you have a job that requires you to look nice, or take clients out, you
might want to reconsider (perhaps a 164 or a milano?).  The gtv will not be
as comfortable for them, and depending on your area, the lack of ac might
make you a bit sweaty....

A little more than a year ago, I took my gtv out of daily driver status,
replacing it with a milano verde.  Initially, I thought the verde was too
cushy (it has a heated seat for chrissake!!), comfortable and, isolating.
Now, a year later, with the gtv back together, I find that I prefer the verde
as a daily commutermobile.  I've grown to appreciate that warm seat on chilly
mornings, as well as the fabulous heater, sunroof, and rear window defogger.
I've also grown to like the TORQUE, although am constantly annoyed with the
rev limiter.

Compared with a modern car, the gtv will require maintenance and repairs (vs.
the verde requiring essentially none).  Parts, however, for the gtv are
pretty cheap by modern comparisons.  And, overall, the gtv is pretty
indestructable, mechanically.  You will find, however, that various bits and
pieces, especially in the interior, will wear and break (knobs, turnsignal
switches, gages).  Replacement of those items is getting more and more
difficult, but there still remain tons of parts cars.  Expect that when
things break (if you don't catch them first) that you won't be able to get
parts immediately.  For that reason, it's good to have your own stock of
spares.  You could probably stock just about everything that is likely to
fail for the price of one A4 payment.

IMO, you will be disappointed in the A4, after driving the gtv.  The shift
linkage, for example,  is terrible.

Financially, there's no question that driving the gtv is the way to go.  If
you do it yourself, you'll likely spend much less than $400/year in
maintaining it.  It won't depreciate.  Insurance will be cheaper.  Repairs
will likely be cheaper, as well.

I hope that helps....

bob brady, DVAROC
yardley, pa