Re: 1600/1300 parts on 101 Giulietta

Warning - this has a high Alfa content & may offend some readers!

1600 engines are slightly higher than 1300 but _should_ fit in with
care, thats why the 1600 Spider has a "power bulge" in the bonnet
(sorry, hood!). See also the Centerline engine mounts.

The 5-speed box will fit but you need, from memory of a similar
conversion carried out years ago:
1/ the 5-speeed gearbox support cross member
2/ the longer 5-speed cross member mount bolts & spacer washers
3/ the 1600 prop-shaft, memory tells me it's shorter to allow for the
longer box, you can compare lengths to check

The 1600 Normale exhaust manifolds had 2x flanges with a total of 6x
bolts, & a 101.12.... no. cast in.
The 1300 Normale exhaust manifolds had 2x flanges with only 4x bolts & a
101.02..... no.

Consequently there are different front down pipes for each, so check out
your manifolds & the Stebro ones

It is possible to change 1300 & 1600 manifold sets with no problem.

The 1600 Stebro system should just bolt on the 1300, subject to above.

It's also quite feasable to change just the engine & "feel the power",
you may later change to 5-speed to "use the power", & even later install
a 5-speed back axle, with a lower ratio, to "exploit the power"!

And of course you're welcome to visit the Alfa Stop website to "stop the
power"!

In message , Jim Andrews <jandrews@domain.elided> writes
>A friend has a 1600 engine, transmission and Stebro exhaust from a 1600
>Giulia spider that he might part with.  I need an exhaust system today
>and may need a transmission in the future for my 1300 Giullietta
>spider.  Will these pieces fit on my car separately and/or together?
>What are the complications in replacing my split case 4 speed
>transmission (with a cracked case) with the later 5 speed?  Are the
>outside dimensions of the 1600 engine the same as my 1300?  Can I just
>bolt on the Stebro exhaust system?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Andrews

BW

Tony Stevens

'52 AR51 Matta
'55 & '57 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Spider
'58 Romeo ambulance
'58 Romeo mobile blood donor clinic
'60 Romeo truck
- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900