RE: 164 Brake Wear??

Mike Israel and Rob Perry wrote about rear pads wearing faster than the front.

How many miles you get out of brake pads depend of cause on how you drive
(brake). I have spent some time on the tracks and my 164 is literally eating
front brake pads. Three to four front sets on every rear set. There is a valve
that reduce rear brake pressure when braking very hard but Mikes and Robs pad
wear still sounds abnormal to me.
(Note that this valve can cause problem bleeding the rear brake system with the
rear suspension fully extended.)

One reason that I can think of causing the rear bads to wear faster than the
front is a sticking hand brake. It is fairly common that the handbrake
mechanism malfunction because of corrosion on the axle inside the calliper.
Make sure that the rear wheels turn easily after using the hand brake.

Hope this helps.

/Peter Greis
CAR Sweden
164 3.0 V6 -90