Re: GTV6 valve guides & disappearing oil

Robert wrote:

>My shop tells me that the valve guides are a likely cause of this problem.
>They quoted me $1200-$1500 to have them worked on.  Does this sound right?
>Also, if I do end up having the job done, is there anything else I should
>have done while the heads are off?  Apparently they'll be removed and sent
>to a machine shop for the valve guide work...

Robert, oil consumption is consistent with worn valve guides and seals.  I
assume your shop charges around $50 per hour for labor.  At that rate,
you'd be looking at about 30 hours of labor, which actually isn't out of
the ballpark for this job.  While the heads are off, the valves should be
checked for sealing and, if necessary, the seats should be cut or lapped.
Actually, they'll all have to be cut and lapped after the new guides are
installed, so that's probably already accounted for in your mechanic's
estimate.  If the coolant pump has more than 20,000 miles on it, it's a
good idea to change it -- you'll be doing it within another 10,000 miles
anyway.  If the engine still has the original hydraulic timing belt
detensioner, it should be replaced with a new mechanical one.  Your garage
will probably pull the radiator out to do the job, so it should be checked
for leaks and flushed or dipped.  It wouldn't hurt to have new coolant
hoses put in during reassembly.  Replace the alternator and A/C belts too,
while you're in there.  If your oil pressure sending unit isn't working,
this is the time to replace it -- while it's accessible.

This will all make the job cost even more, but if it's all done correctly,
you won't have to worry about any of these pieces failing for another
30,000 miles (coolant pump).  In other words, you'll have a dependable car.

After the job is done, make your mechanic tell you about his experience
removing the brake booster.  It will make you feel better about paying so
much for the job.  After all, he's got to charge enough to pay for the
chiropractic appointments!  (Please don't ask me how I know.  I'm 6'4", and
still trying to forget some bad memories from that part of the job.)

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco