re: 155 engine into spider?

Looking for more power for his spider, Gregory Scott wrote:
>   I was on Alfa's web site in the 155 section reading about their
>engines. The 'Clover' 4 cylinder was a turbocharged 2.0L with close to
>200HP. This must be one of the ones with a Fiat block, eh? I am pretty
>sure that this engine is not sold on these shores and would be tons of
>trouble to get shipped.

As with the T-Spark a more workable answer would be the 1.8 turbo from a
75.  This engine was a factory turbo installation based on the classic
alloy Alfa I-4, and as I recall delivered about 190 HP DIN, comparable to a
12-valve 3 l V6.  The practical advantages, relative to any 155 motor, are
that it is based on the same block as the stock spider motor and was
designed to be mounted longitudinally.  It might be easier to mount than a
T-spark from a 75, because the block and head should be the same height as
a standard 4, and the turbo components can be relocated if they're in the
way.  You'd still have to drill the crank to take the transmission input
shaft as brian noted, however.   They didn't make a lot of 75 turbos, but a
determined person should be able to find a motor in a wrecking yard and
have it shipped to wherever they need it.  This is just a matter of time
and money, there are no legal barriers to importing an engine without a car.

Dana Loomis