re: Lotus smog

>how a new Lotus Elise which has the same
>Rover 1.8 K-series engine with V.V.C. that's in the MGF, as well as a modern
>catalyser can fail your emissions test? That is one of the finest engines
>around.
> I would guess that there are some big old American gas guzzlers driving
>about with huge ccs that produce far more emissions ;-).

The detail to which the Cal Smog laws go is quite fine. Some cars in US are
49-state only and California cars have to be just a bit cleaner than
anywhere else in US (and world). Just having a catalyser is not enough, the
system must control emissions at all levels (from idle to full throttle).
My understanding is that some of the less restrictive systems control smog
best in the higher output ranges of engine operation whereas cal car smog
must cover a much broader operating range. And yes there are many BAC (Big
Ass Cars, mostly SUV's now) that pollute much more than the Lotus ever
would. Smog quotient is not figured overall but per cc of engine
displacement and worse yet, SUV's are exempted from tougher smog (and
safety) standards as they are classified as trucks/commercial vehicles. An
enormous loophole which has just been shut off in California (but won't
take effect until 2004). That is part of the popularity of these vehicles
(at least from the manufactureres stand point). These tanks can be less
technologically sophisticated (or at least less smog-restricitve) but
"look" sophisticated so they make tons of money on each one.

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto
84 GTV-6