Re: alfa-digest V7 #241

I live in California and I don't see why any modern engine with a good EFI
system and a catalytic converter could not pass the emissions test. As the
car was never submitted and tested by its manufacturer, there would be
paperwork, to be sure. Actually getting emissions down should vary much
from engine to engine.

Of course, I'm probably missing something. Somehow Honda engines seem much
cleaner than many others, for example. California probably has the
strictest standards in the world (aside from no tax on engine
displacement), so maybe it couldn't pass.

The standards are not set by a CC class, so the large engines and small
engines are only allowed the same level (of regulated) emissions.

Older cars generally must pass tests set at the emmissions level set when
they were new, so old gas guzzlers can pollute as much as they did when
new. Pre '72 cars are exempt from "smog checks", as long as they were
manufactered for California (I believe).

New cars guzzle gas, too. Not only American ones, but Japanese and German
ones. Though they do use a lot of gas, they all seem pretty efficient
(thanks to the Bosche EFI and computers) and put out a lot of power. These
are generally sports sedans and four wheel drives.

I don't know why an Elise couldn't pass. My 1985 european-spec car (with
and added catalytic converter) passes easily every year. What are the
English or European emissions limits? The next time one of you tests your
car, why not post the actual emissions? We can compare these with the
California limits.

- - Ian