RE: 164 Front Bushings

Graham,

replaced all 4 bushes (front & rear).
Cost 24 UK pounds

undo all the nuts/bolts and the A arm falls off (30-45 minutes)

You need a burning torch of some kind to
(a) burn the rubber ones out (easy - 30 minutes + 30 minutes to clean)
(b) extract the metal sleeve from the A arm - not so easy (3 hours?)
best idea is warm outside of A arm with blow torch, and whack cold sleeve
with cold chisel. Timing is everything, get it wrong, then you wait until
everything is cool and start again.

Grease bushes using special grease (from local motor store- see Bill's note)
I'll dig out type for you if you want. Pop bushes in (15 minutes)

bolt back up (45 minutes) a little fiddly, due to the size of the A arm.

I did one per weekend (actually spent 2.5 days on it).

Difference is not immediately noticeable, seem to need 50 miles to settle
in, then retracking of steering, then what a difference!

Weren't you replacing rear arms every 2 years?
maybe this may cure your problems.

Some UK parts dealer (Chris Witt (Superflex supplier in UK) will tell you
who) will supply reconditioned A arms with the bushes fitted for about 85 UK
pounds each + VAT or so.

I elected to do the lot myself - loved it, what a buzz!

Anti-Roll (US - sway) bar bushes & washers can be replaced at the same, as
you have to undo them anyway - cost 8 UK pounds from local dealer.

Tracking of front suspension including Straightening steering wheel was 35
UK pounds by ex-alfa dealer.

Thats about it. Any questions ?
Usual disclaimers apply.

Regards
David
'94 164 Silver TS with Superflex bushings, as per Bill Harkell's V6 car.