Singing/dancing Milano no more

Alfisti:   FYI
Over the weekend I replaced the rear right bearing on my Milano.  I =
remember
that John Pickering of Toronto had the same problem.

Back ground of problem:
At the beginning the car started and continued to whine at about 35MPH. =
 It
stops if you turn left.  Then after few months the whining escalated to
shaking and vibration they also stop if you turn left.
  I lived with the noise and shaking for about seven months.  Part of =
it was
the uncertainty of where the problem was.  In fact I was not sure if I
corrected the right problem until I drove the car afterwards.

Discovery:
The bearing is actually two bearings inside one housing.  The outer =
halve
was completely dry.  When I removed the flange balls started flying at =
me.
The races and balls appear undamaged.  In fact the plastic ring that =
holds
the balls is intact.  My ten year old daughter made a bracelet out of =
the
balls and ring.  She wants the other one also, but I did not get around =
separating it yet.

The remedy:
The operation was done in accordance with the shop manual including the
tools required.  I tried the threaded rod and washers but with no =
success.
The retaining ring-nut (a flimsy one) had to be pried out with a flat =
screw
driver.  The new nut is a heavy duty and will need a special tool to =
install
it (I made one).  The threads on the shaft nut and retaining ring-nut =
are
normal; clockwise to tighten and countercheck to remove.

Update:
The previous weekend I converted the self leveling rear shocks with =
stock
springs and Bilstien shocks.  The operation went smooth except that =
Bilstien
did not send new rubber bushings, instead they enclosed a note stating =
reuse the old bushings and skirts.  The old lower bushings were =
deteriorated
due to the oil leaks.  The skirts can not be used, the holes are too =
big.
Parts stores around here do not carry just shock bushings.  Luckily I =
found
some bushings in my junk.  They were smaller and not a perfect fit, but =
what
else.  I got black shock booths and trimmed to fit.

If any one is interested in more details on any of these or previous
projects, please contact me off the digest unless others on the digest =
would
like see the replies I'll replay directly.

I got the MC rebuild kit, but I did not get around to doing it yet.  =
Thanks
to those who supplied the information regarding this project.

I am working on developing a cam decreeing tape  for the 14 =BC"
(circumference) crank pulley.  It will include marks for the TDC, BDTC =
and
opening and closing of intake and exhaust valves for the 2.5 V6 Milano. =
 It
can be modified for other engines with same size crank pulley.  A =
stick-on
generic degreeing wheel is done.  Currently can be printed on 8 =BD X =
11
sticky back.  It has one degree and five degree increments and is done =
in
DXF and DWG file format.  More on this in an other post.

I just got back from lunch.  I was visiting with my local Alfa guru and =
when
I was leaving his shop, the ignition refused to let the key in it.  I =
felt a
little resistance when I removed the key when I got there.  Mind you =
that's
the only time that I felt my car let me down and she chose to do it =
right in
front of the only Alfa expert in town.  With some Teflon spray and a
needle-like device we managed to get the key back in the ignition, and =
there
I went.  I was advised to leave the key in until I replace the =
ignition.
The key would not come out even if want to.  I guess an other project =
just
got put on the list.

Abe Kheraz
Madison, WI