'77 spider troubles

Hi all,
Just ordered a top from Caribou, thanks to recommendations from the digest.
Hopefully that will solve the problem of wet floors! On that note, I have a
few questions:
1) Since the old top leaks, some water would run down in the inside of the
car, down by where the sill and the floorpan meet. I just discovered a
substantial amount of rust there (unusual place for rust in a spider!), and
now want to have the floorpan on the driver's side replaced, so that it's
done right once and for all! I've already got a patch on the hole under the
gas pedal, so I figure I should look at a long-term solution. Can anybody
recommend a place to weld this in (I found the pan from re-originals at
$220), or tell me if you know how much it would cost, so I know what I'm in
for?
2) The front section of my exhaust (betw. the "cat. converter" and the
header) is cracked. I was looking at replacing this with Borla, Ansa, or
similar, but don't know whether there's any point in having a wider pipe
going into the cat.
3) This question was brought on by having to get a replacement head because
the old one cracked where the air pump is mounted: Where can I learn what
many of you seem to know about fixing Alfas? I'd much rather have the
satisfaction (more than just financial) of replacing the gasket (or head, in
this case) myself, but I'm too scared I'll screw the car up. I have bought
most any manual I can get my hands on (except the CarDisc), but none are
*specifically* for US-spec spiders. I am able to do regular maintenance
stuff, like changing the oil & filters, replacing discs & pads, but as soon
as it gets into the more in-depth engine stuff I get worried, and my
mechanic gets a little wealthier.
Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider veloce