SPICA question

Okay SPICA experts, here's a question to you all:

A couple of years ago, when I bought my '73 gtv, it was a very strong runner
(much more so than any other gtv I'd driven).  It also was VERY difficult to
start (required using the hand throttle).  Cams were timed at stock settings,
but ignition was advanced to about 5 degrees BTDC.  The engine was stock.
The TA was a little short (~1-2mm below spec at 175C).  I didn't fiddle with
the injection settings, at that time.

When I was getting the car ready for selling, I installed a TA that was "in
spec."  Performance dropped considerably, back to "normal" levels.  It also
started fine.

When I installed a replacement TA in my '74 gtv (also stock engine), I didn't
check the protrusion, nor did I reset the gap.  The car ran like stink (just
like the '73 had a long time ago).  It also would not start unless I gave it
lots of throttle.

After resetting the injection system properly, (the rebuilt TA actually was
longer and required a shim to bring it in spec), performance dropped back to
where it was before, starting was fine, etceteras.

So.... these forays into untapped power have always intrigued me.  Any idea
on what happened?  In the latter case, it seems pretty clear that the car was
leaned out, which jives with my understanding that the stock system is set up
a bit rich.  In the former case, I have no clue.  Any ideas on what was going
on?

Unfortunatly, in both cases I didn't benchmark the performance.  In both
cases what took my notice was that under "normal" acceleration, I wound up
inadvertantly chirping second gear (please no synchro warnings), and
acceleration was noticably more brisk.  Next time, I'll have to measure it.

Bob Brady, DVAROC