We don't need no stinkin' matching numbers!

At 03:06 PM 11/5/98 -0500, Doug Bender wrote:

>     I have never hear an Alfa person mention matching numbers.  In fact it
>     doesn't seem to matter, and often helps the value of a car to swap in
>     a better engine for example (larger, later, or upgraded components,
>     say to make a Normale look like a Veloce), or replace drum brakes with
>     disks etc.  Originality doesn't seem to be a big deal with the Alfa
>     croud.

Yes, that's generally true.  Ain't it refreshing?  I believe it's because
Alfa people tend to be gearheads - they love machinery, and love to
improve it.  Aficianados of other marques tend to be...well, something
else.  I guess they are in it for the snob value, or because they expect
their matching numbered creampuff to appreciate in value, or maybe they're
just anally retentive.

Generalizations are ALWAYS dangerous - I have met a lot of BMW and Porsche
356 junkies who modify their cars with impunity, again because they like
to fool around with things mechanical.  And, I'm sure somewhere there is
an Alfa person who worries about the color of the screwdriver handle in
his original toolkit.

>     Questions I have: is there a book or documentation stating how to
>     determine if an Alfa has matching numbers?  For which models would it
>     be important?

The book by Fusi would be the closest thing for Alfas.  The most
important thing is that you don't buy a "Veloce" that is merely a
Normale with an extra carb slapped on (only an issue with 750 and
101 models).  People on this list can recite the charcteristics of
a factory Veloce in their sleep (different sheetmetal behind the
grille, different serial numbers, electric fuel pump, etc).
Me, I made my Giulia Normale into an "Abnormale", and never gave
originality a second thought.  I see nothing wrong with that, as
long as I don't try to foist it off on an unsuspecting buyer as
something it ain't.

Jay Mackro