Re: Brake MC: new or rebuild?

Ron King wrote:

>My brake MC ('89 Spider) is leaking from the back end where it's
>attached to the booster drum. It doesn't appear to leak unless it's
>under pressure (ie, when I apply the brake pedal). I'd like to know the
>pros and cons of simply buying a rebuild kit. Is there an easy way to
>tell from the outside whether I need a whole new one or not?

>Unfortunately, the cost of a new MC (approx. $95) is not trivial at this
>moment, but of course, safety first.

You won't know until you remove and disassemble the old one. Brake fluid
attracts moisture so if it hasn't been changed every couple of years or so
(which in most cases - not) then there is the possibility that it contains a
lot of moisture and has corroded the M/C bore to the point that you'd best
get a new one. Especially if you've been around the ocean a lot. If the bore
looks okay you can clean it up with the proper sized hone and rebuild it
with no problem.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project