Abominable metrics and build dates

In AD7-225 Jaap Bouma asks about build dates possible with his GTV-6 ZAR 116
C00 000 205 58, first registered in Switzerland in April 1987, which has the
Michelin metric wheels.

The book says that 1986 cars destined for Germany had numbers from 00020011
onward (no terminal specified). The highest other number in that listing is
20400, the high number for 1986 cars without catalyst. Listings for other
models usually lump catalyzed cars as for Switzerland, Austria, Germany and
Sweden, so the "for Germany" in this case was probably shorthand. It does not
give any later model year than 1986. As for the wheels, it was not unusual for
the USA market to get equipment variations from those offered elsewhere, and
the reversion to standard sizing may have applied to the USA only.
Alternately, the dealer could have exchanged the wheels to sell another car to
a customer who was buying an in-stock '85 but wanted the standard wheels.

The first time I ever saw the slotted speedlines they were in photographs in
the "Alfa Owner" of a "Switzerland-only special edition" of the GTV-6, before
they had appeared on the USA cars; so those wheels did make it to that
country.

> I might even give away one of my treasured Michelin alloys <

Not to me you wouldn't.

John H.