Kid seat in GT[V]

W.B. Peale asks about kid seats in a 105 GT.

Before you drill, cut up, or otherwise permanently modify anything with
the idea of clamping down a baby seat, try fitting the seat in your car.

I'm failing to repress the urge to add, "I double-dog dare you."

Different seats have different dimensions, of course, but we found that
the kid-seat(s) we tried to fit in the rear of my '67 simply would not
go, no way no how, end of discussion, not with any articulation of the
front passenger's seat and any orientation of the kid seat in the rear
that we could arrange.  The base of the baby seat interfered with the
front seatback even with the front seat all the way forward, the angle
was wrong for the rear seatback, the baby seat was too wide for the belt
placement -- our combination just flat didn't work.

No, of *course* I don't know what brand of seat we have.  It's... grey
with blue straps.

As a result, Charlie (now 2) rides in the front seat when he rides in
the Alfa, his sisters ride in back (where I installed a pair of
three-point seatbelts following SCCA General Competition Regulation
recommendations), and my wife stays home. :-)  When we all go anywhere
together, we take my Audi Coupe, which has a voluminous back seat
including a lap belt in the center that's ideal for parking a baby seat,
and was at least designed by the same man who drew the 105 GT, Giorgetto
Giugiaro.

BTW, "Alfa" (or a childlike lisping version of it) was one of Charlie's
first words; he recognizes the cross-and-serpent logo and is excited
whenever he sees it on something around the house (keys, my Alfa mug,
T-shirts, books, the box of my 1/24-scale GTA that I'm almost finished
building, etc.).  When I was driving the GT regularly, he'd run
excitedly out to see me when I came home from work... and then pointedly
ignore me and crawl into the car.  He used to throw *terrible* tantrums
when I'd finally have to drag him away from the vehicle: he'd fling
himself on his back, arch his neck so that his head lifted his shoulders
completely off the ground, and then drum his little feet while screaming
piteously.

As far as I'm concerned, that's better proof of paternity than any DNA
test could ever hope to provide...

- --Scott Fisher
  Sunnyvale, CA