oil and dipstick

I have an 87 spider and the dipstick has bugged me for the six months I
have owned it.  THe dipstick looks nothing like the one in the manual, it
only has two dots with no script.  I am assuming the distance between the
dots is the safe zone with the higher dot being full and the lower
meaning low.  DO all spider dipsticks look like this?

Secondly, I switched from running 10w40 mineral oil to 10w40 synthetic
blend.  I hear a lot of talk of synthetic vs. mineral but little about the
blends.  DOes the synthetic have a large advantage over the blends?  The
blend I bought is Valvoline and on the box stated that it passed a
stringent test by Peugot, does anyone know what this test is and what
makes it so difficult to pass?

Thanks,
Chris