Re: Repeated Spider Exhaust Gasket Failure

I have a 1984 Spider Veloce, 60K miles with a rebuilt engine around 7k miles
ago.  In April of this year we drove the car on a Alfa Club Tour (45+ cars
doing 100) and when we returned I heard the tell-tale signs of an exhaust
leak.  I called my trusted mechanic who told me to immediately return to his
shop in order to avoid possible engine damage. He checked it out and
discovered that sure enough my ears were right...the gasket between the
"exhaust header" and the front piece of the exhaust system leading to the cat
was bad.  One of the bolts had also broken...which is a mystery to me since I
don't jump ditches.

Well, here it is Halloween and guess what, I hear the sick puttering of an
exhaust leak again.  I have not gone back to see my mechanic, but from my
poking it looks like the same thing has happened again.

If my memory suits me correct, it also happened a 5 years ago, then it was
discovered during my engine rebuild in addition to the recent two failures.
This makes a total of 4 failures in 5 years, with 2 failures within 6 months.
I don't rev my car much above 5-5500 rpm or abuse the car.  I would like to
get it fixed and have confidence that it will hold and avoid possible engine
damage, especially to a fair fresh engine with less than 7k miles.

Anyone have any ideas what the cause may be?  Let me know.

Chris Finks (SandC994@domain.elided)
AROC & AROO
1984 Spider Veloce
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo